It is reveal week in the “$100 Room Challenge!” This week was full of DIY projects! I almost didn’t make the deadline, but luckily some small changes to my plan helped me complete my powder room refresh! Take a look below at the before and after pictures!
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience! This means that I may make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.)
$100 Room Challenge Reveal Week
If you haven’t been following along, I decided to take part in the $100 Room Challenge started by Erin from Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry! You have one month and $100 to make over a room! I chose to do my powder room, because it needed a little update. It felt dark and a little dated. Here are some before pictures:
$100 Room Challenge Weekly Progress
WEEK 1 of the $100 Room Challenge consisted of planning my vision for the powder room refresh! If you look at my original vision board below, you will notice that some things didn’t happen! Some of these things were by choice and others were because I just didn’t have time.
WEEK 2 of the $100 Room Challenge involved me painting the walls classic gray by Benjamin Moore. I had this paint left over from my dining room, so it didn’t cost me a thing!
While working on my powder room, I started to love the Schoolhouse Electric light that I already had in there! It’s like it went unnoticed before the refresh! I had gotten the Ikea crocheted light to hang in it’s place, but after taking an Instagram poll, I was convinced to keep the one that I already had!
WEEK 3 of the $100 Room Challenge was a little slower than the previous weeks! I began to work on my knock-off Serena & Lily montara mirror. I didn’t finish the mirror this week, because it took much longer than I had anticipated! I’ll be sharing how to make this knock-off soon!
I decided to splurge on the windows, because I really wanted a working shade and my original plan consisted of a faux roman shade made from a drop cloth and dye. I’m sure it would have been cool, but I opted for some actual coverage in the powder room. I’m sure I’m not the only one who is happy about that! The whitewashed bamboo roman shade was the perfect window covering for the space. I love the color in the room and at $29.00, the price was reasonable (even though it was a good chunk of my budget)!
WEEK 4 of the $100 Room Challenge went by quickly! I was able to finish the Serena & Lily knock-off mirror!
The main project was the herringbone stencil. I used white (chantilly lace by Benjamin Moore) leftover semi-gloss paint for the stencil. I wanted it to stand out a little more, so I’m so glad that I had semi-gloss paint rather than flat! I LOVE this herringbone stencil! You have to buy it! I got it from Etsy through a shop named Dizzy Duck Designs. They have so many different options, and they are such lovely people! Since I’ve never stenciled before and I have some weird angles in my bathroom, it took a lot longer than I had planned! Let’s just say that I haven’t stayed up this late since college! I’ll be sharing a tutorial on how to stencil and give you my tips after doing it. Here is my final cost breakdown!
- $0-wall paint-classic gray by Benjamin Moore already had
- $0-paint roller and paintbrush-already had
- $0-bamboo stool-moved from upstairs bathroom to downstairs
- $0-paint and painters tape-already had (“Knock-off Serena & Lily Dip-Dyed Wooden Stool”)
- $0-wooden step stool-already had
- $29.00-whitewashed bamboo roman shades
- $45.09-herringbone stencil (wall small size)
- $0-stencil paint-chantilly lace by Benjamin Moore already had
- $8.99-foam stencil roller
- $8.99-spray adhesive
- $0-round mirror-This mirror was left in our house when we moved in. I’ve kept it just in case!
- $0-raffia-already had
- $0-white spray paint-already had
- $0-plastic tubing-already had from plumbing project
- $0-hot glue-already had
- $0-screws-already had
- $13.24-chair caning
- $0-large white frame-already had
- $0-artwork–If you didn’t notice that my frames do not have pictures in them, then that’s good! I ran out of time to make or buy something! If I buy something, it will be a digital print like THIS one!
- $0-accent rug-moved the rug from in front of my kitchen sink into here
- $0-hand towel-already had
- $0-zebra head-already had it and painted it gloss white (HERE are some faux animal heads!)
- $0-accessories-used items from around my house!
Powder Room Refresh Reveal
My end result might not look exactly like my original vision board, but it is close enough for me! I really wanted a light and bright classic space. I feel like everything that I chose really captured that look! Basically I wanted a Serena & Lily powder room on a $100 budget!
Honestly, I don’t think I would have thought to use leftover paint for my powder room if I hadn’t joined this challenge! It really did make me realize that we have so much around our house than we realize! I hope you all are inspired to use what you have to improve your home as well! Don’t forget to check out the final room reveals below!
Get my look:
If you liked this post, you’ll love these: