Choosing between an upholstered headboard and a hard-surface headboard (wood or metal) can be difficult! Here are the pros and cons to picking the perfect one!
(This post contains affiliate links for your convenience! This means that I may make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link.)
If you have been following along, I’m in the process (a very slow process) of changing my son’s room from a nursery into a big kid room ever since my daughter was born nine months ago and stole a few things from his room…like his crib.
Right now his room is this hot mess of two worlds: baby and big boy. It drives me crazy.
While searching for some inspiration and items for Finn’s big kid room, I came across several, eleven to be exact, headboards and beds that would fit in perfectly. You can see that post HERE. They included a few metal bed frames, a few wooden headboards, and some upholstered headboards.
I’ve been trying to decide which headboard or bed I like best for his new space, but I’m having some trouble choosing…like I often do!
In order to help make my decision, I started to think about the benefits and disadvantages of having a hard-surface headboard vs. an upholstered headboard.
I thought it might help some of you when thinking about purchasing a headboard, whether it’s for yourself or someone else!
Hard-Surface Headboard vs. Upholstered headboard
- It cleans up easily! This is a big one. If you have ever been through the stomach flu with a toddler, you know that everything within a five foot radius is fair game. Being able to wipe down a headboard with ease is a very important part of the decision.
- It won’t rip or tear. The fact that they are hard, makes them pretty indestructible. If you are dealing with a wild three-nager, this is a big benefit!
- It is a hard surface! This might be obvious, but my point is that it’s not very comfortable to lean against. You have to pile pillows against it at the right angles to get cozy, and it’s just not that easy to do.
- It is comfortable to lean against. You don’t need to worry about putting all of your euro pillows and throw pillow behind you because you have a soft surface to rest against!
- It can give more dimension to a room or a custom feel, because you don’t have the “matching set” of bedroom furniture.
- It is not easily wiped down. While you can spot clean an upholstered headboard, you can’t throw it in the washing machine or swipe a damp towel across it. You might have to put in some good time if a nasty spill or something else gets on it. You might want to take precautions if the stomach bug is going around your house!
- It can rip or tear. No sharp objects allowed in bed! 😉
After spending some time thinking about the above, I finally made my decision!
Surprise! I chose an upholstered headboard! I just couldn’t resist the look or the price! It was on sale for just over $100 from Wayfair! Right now it is listed for $130! That’s still a bargain! At that price I’m willing to gamble with cleaning it or any wear and tear.
Goodnight and sleep tight!